Friday, June 20, 2008

Bikram Challenge: Day 1

I attended my first Bikram Yoga class slightly prepared, so I thought. I wore shorts, not pants, and a sports bra. It doesn't matter how much or little you wear, you are gonna get hot. When I say hot, I mean the room is kept at about 105 degrees. The instructor, Jessica (who was great), began the class telling us newbies to just try to stay in the room for the entire 90 minutes, sit down or lay down for as long as you need to rest and catch your breath, and if you felt any feelings of light-headedness, dizziness, or nausea that it was complete normal and would pass. I was terrified, half the time I feel like that just strolling from the sofa to the bathroom. I did not think that I was going to make it through the warm-up. I accomplished the goal of staying in the room the duration of 90 minutes and I at least attempted each posture. I thought that I was going to die...not literally...just really tough work-out die.

But...
After the final Savasana, or lying on your back with your palms up and heels together for those of you who don't do Yoga, I felt refreshed and calm. I immediately signed up for a month of unlimited classes and decided to do the Bikram Challenge. This is what I will spend my first sixty days blogging about.

Here are a couple of quotes from Bikram:

"Never too old, never too sick, never too late to do Yoga and start
from scratch again."


"If you will do this Yoga everyday for 60 days, I will give you a new body,
a new mind, and a new life.


So, I decided that I do not want to use "sick" for an excuse not to do this. I will listen to my body and do what I can. I can definitely use a new body since my has failed me time after time; mind, let's see, that could definitely benefit from improvement; and if those too things create a new and better life for me, then great. So, I'm all in...thanks for supporting me in my journey.

No comments: