Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day Nine, Ten and Eleven

Sorry for the blogging delay...it's been a crazy weekend!

Day Nine: Friday

I attended class at 5:30 AM (yes, I woke up at that hour without being forced) and had class with Jessica. My practice went well and I worked on a couple of postures that were giving me fits one breath at a time. I went home, took a short nap and started working at 9:30. This is where it gets real exciting...

MY FIRST DOUBLE!!!

I returned to the studio for a second class at 4:30PM with Jen and it was amazing. I thought that I would be weak and tired but I wasn't at all. I was able to reach new depths in my postures and felt much stronger than I normally do in class. I was pumped up when I left about all that I had achieved. It was wonderful!

Day Ten: Not so good...

As I somewhat expected, My 9:30 AM class with Roy did not go quite as well as I would've liked. Roy was great, he really made me laugh and push myself harder than I would've liked sent I went in feeling lethargic and tired. My muscles felt incredibly weak and was having problems steadying my breath again. I'm not letting this discourage me because I realize that it is a process. I will probably wait until I've been practicing at least a month before attempting another double, unless I go out of town and will be unable to practice for a few days.

Day Eleven: A Time of Rest

I decided after yesterday's class and talking to Arnie that I should probably take a day off. I am very committed to the Yoga but must also listen to my body. My body said...please, pretty please, let me rest so I listened. I feel that when I return tomorrow I will have enough strength to really focus on my practice and not just be a body in the room. I will update you all tomorrow!!!

Sidenote...I don't want this post to sound like I am discouraged because I am not. I realize that no matter how long you practice there will be good days and bad and that I must embrace all of those feelings. I look forward to continuing this journey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first double!!!! As I said before, I didn't do that for a long time when I began practicing.

You are learning that there are ups and downs with this yoga. This never changes. I have an amazing class one day and not twelve hours later have a very difficult class. The important thing is never giving up and being sure you always listen to your body. Sometimes we go into the room and everything works, it happens, sometimes the opposite. The key (I think) is finding a way to work hard (to the best of your ability THAT DAY), stay focused, and remembering that it's a process. Rest is SO important. Sometimes the best thing we can do is rest. Just because you're on a Challenge doesn't mean the body doesn't need rest. I've found that sometimes switching around the classes I take helps with this. For instance, taking an evening class instead of an early morning class. Sometimes those few extra hours make all the difference in the world.

As your mind gets stronger, so will your body. Pushing is good, and the teachers will push you as far as you are willing to go. But always remember that THEY (the teachers) are only a voice. They're not inside of your body. Only you know when enough is enough. There will always be another push, another way to go deeper. But you have to do what your body can do and listen.

So happy for you and with you and proud of you. Keep it up.

Namaste!

Shannon said...

Hey Sweets, I feel somewhat responsible for you're having to take a day off, but I really do appreciate you're coming to visit me at our new house. Maybe our next visit will be at a slower pace!

Love you, and keep up the goog work- I know I mistyped that, but I thought it was funny, so I left it.. Yes, keep up the Goog work.
Shan